1. Hire car. In an Australian first, snow-ready cars are now available at Europcar city and airport locations in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. Europcar’s ultimate snow package includes:
- a latest model Mitsubishi Outlander
- Thule SnowPack racks for up to 6 sets of skis or 4 snowboards, so it’s easy to bring all your own gear in comfort and style
- snow cover for accidents that occur above the snow line (inclusive of an additional driver).
2. Fly. Rex is currently flying 7 days a week between Sydney and Cooma in the Snowy Mountains, with connections from other areas in regional NSW. For Falls, you can fly to Albury with Rex, Qantas, Virgin Australia or Jetgo and take a coach transfer (or the Falls Creek Heli-Shuttle!) the rest of the way. Flights can also be chartered to other resorts like Hotham.
3. Bus. There are more options than you can poke a ski pole at. Large companies like Greyhound and Murrays run services to most resorts from Melbourne, Sydney or Canberra. Smaller operations also run custom schedules. Check the website of your preferred resort for a full list of options to that location.
4. Snow package. This will likely involve a bus again but it will also sort out your accommodation, some meals and gear hire. If you otherwise need to pay for all those items separately, a package is a good way to cut costs. It’s often possible to depart Friday evening and return Sunday night.